About Me

My photo
Welcome friend, I'm Lynda Joy - grateful follower of Jesus, honoured wife to my darling, proud mother of 5, home-educator, massage therapist, & enthusiastic creative. I'm delighted that you are here, sharing this God-given treasure-hunt called life with me... So many gifts waiting to be discovered. So, here's to life, joy and health!

16 June 2012

3 GIFTS IN HIS WORD

Lately, I've been challenged about my deliberate goings to the Word. Not the accidentals, like reading a book with scripture scattered through it, nor the scripture put to music that I'm listening to in the background, nor even the Sunday sermon. These are all wonderful...I'm not knocking these wonderful sources of washing my soul.
But it's the times I go with purpose and deliberateness. Determined to eat. The three square meals I have in the day. All the other is snacking between meals and doesn't help one's spiritual blood sugar levels. Three times a day coming to Him and eating from His Word feeds my spirit and helps me grow strong and sure. Three square meals allows me to assimilate the food well, absorbing all the nutrients my soul needs.
Daniel was the great man he was because "...in his upper room, with his window open toward Jerusalem, he knelt down on his knees three times a day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days." Daniel 6:10
As a child I remember  the 'prickles up your spine' feeling when I walked past my Grandma's room and saw her on her knees 'as was her custom since early days', and heard my name mentioned to the King of Kings.She was there every morning on her knees at the end of her bed. Every evening as she prepared for sleep, she undid the hundreds of little hooks and eyes on her corset with such amazing speed and dexterity, then knelt again to talk to her Lord. Habitual. As a child I was impressed and awed by her discipline and devotion. (Not to mention fascinated by how she could do that corset without even looking at them!)



with grateful thanks to Loma Photography ©

I think that habitual coming before our God is something our generation has sadly lost. We are too busy rushing here and there and fitting one more thing into our schedule. We've lost the depth to our relationship with Him. So, I am beginning the process of developing my habit of prayer and feasting on His Word. I'd like my grandchildren to say of me "...as was her custom".

1 comment:

  1. I agree, we're definitely too busy now adays to really stop and spend time with God.
    I've just started reading the Parashah (with the addition of sections from the NT), and it's been great to really get stuck into the REAL word, instead of just reading other people's interpretations. I've found I've learnt heaps more because I have to think about it and work out the meaning for myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete